Guest Post: Technology is Just a Tool

BY KEVIN PULFER
Have you ever watched a toddler play? I’m talking about sitting and watching, intent on discovering what makes them tick. My two year old sees the world as one filled with trains. Anything and anyone becomes a train. He doesn’t see the world for what it is widely accepted. He sees it for what it is through the only eyes that matter to him- his own. As he gets older he will be oriented strongly into our culture and it will be stressed that everything has a strict purpose. This will be part of what the world considers learning, but others see it as a loss. The ability to see the world as one filled with different possibilities is a strong link to divergent thinking. This isn’t as celebrated in our world as much as standardized IQ scores, but as most will admit, improvements in our world often come from repurposing something old into something new. A frisbee is born from a pie plate, but then a life preserving disc is born from a frisbee. The ability to see the world differently will become increasingly important as we reorient ourselves to become better teachers.

The overwhelming teacher attitude towards technology is that we need more of it. Our lives would be simpler if every child had access to a personal computing device. Smartboards would make life so much easier. When these are placed into rooms, often they are used to achieve the exact same missions as were previously targeted. We take our lunch count on the Smartboard instead of raising our hands. We draw on the Smartboard instead of on the chalkboard. Is anything truly revolutionary happening in these instances? Is this truly where the investment needs to be placed? The technology allows you to do much differently, this is true. However, as with any tool, it will only be used as successfully as the person using it allows. When we are ingrained that there is a right way to conduct school, we set in place rigid mindsets and a box that feels confining. Many good teachers have very well-meaning intentions with their actions, but due to the culture of schools they cannot see the forest through the trees.

If you give a computer to a kid, I guarantee you they will not use it the way you intend. You can try and teach, but let’s face it, you probably don’t know the half of what is available out there. It’s scary. There are possibly unfiltered and inappropriate websites and the potential for time wasting. Parents may question you and you have to always appear in control, even if you don’t feel that way. Our students bring this divergent thinking and see technology for what it can be. It can lead to a new paradigm for learning. They have a passion to create and to discover. They need to connect and share. This means that we have to embrace that ideal of learning and let go of some of those tenets we cling so tightly. We cannot hold onto knowledge as if we are its’ gatekeepers-we need to allow ourselves to be vulnerable and to have authentic learning experiences along with our students. Allow one of your students to throw you a frisbee and pull you into a new way of thinking. See the technology as a harbinger of change. Technology is just a tool, but what it can allow you to now bring into your classroom can be so much more.

kevin Kevin Pulfer is a third-grade teacher in the Olentangy School District located just outside of Columbus, Ohio.  He regularly incorporates innovative practices into his classroom, is a technology leader within his school, and provides training to teachers throughout the district.

6 thoughts on “Guest Post: Technology is Just a Tool

1. This reminds me of a college professor when teaching our class about using manipulatives. She always recommended to give students safety directions, then pass out the manipulative and provide a few minutes of “play time” for natural exploration before giving the instructions for the activity. In a way, we have to allow students time to explore the computer or device on their own for a few moments before giving instructions for the task. Sometime, the play can help us to discover new purposes or abilities.

2. Yes! We as teachers aren’t the gatekeepers any longer. We need to teach the kids how to navigate and deal with what’s outside the gate. Critical thinking and evaluation are so important. We also, as you said, need to be open to what our students can teach us about the uses of technology.

3. Kevin-
    You make so many good points. I can say without question that I have learned as much about technology from the students as they have learned from me. The exciting thing about today’s learner is that he/she is not afraid of the tools. When allowed the freedom to do so, students of today embrace challenges and show their learning in ways that only they can design. It is an exciting time to be an educator.
    -Tammy

4. Good point about how we use technology as educators. Many teachers either use it at the substitution or augmentation stages of the SAMR model. In my experience, it is rare that it is used to either modify or redefine what is happening in the classroom. My district offers lots of technology-oriented PD, but I’m not sure how successful that has been. I think it might be more ingrained in attitude and a teacher’s comfort level with technology.

5. I will have to admit that I just started using an interactive whiteboard and I know I am not using it to it’s full potential. I am learning more and more about ways to use it more effectively and am excited to be able to incorporate it into my teaching. We as teachers are always learning and there is so much to learn. Just as the toddler playing, I feel I am the same when I first get to play and discover something new…especially technology related!

6. What a great point that technology is only as successful as the person using it allows it to be. We can certainly get caught up in the idea that we NEED to use the smartboard, but after five years of having a smartboard in some classrooms, teachers are still just using it to present powerpoints and videos. What I worry about is that the administration just says “We want to see you using it”, but has not given any follow-up professional development or guidance since year 1 of the smarboards. How do we keep from getting caught up in the newest technology trend and focus on being more successful using what we have?